Friday, October 21, 2011

My daughter lives and works in Israel. Should she get her salary in Sheckels, or USD.


My daughter lives and works in Israel. Should she get her salary in Sheckels, or USD.?
What currency should she ask to be paid in. Say she needs to spend 70% of her money in Israel. And save the rest. Please also consider that the exchange rate is not able to be predicted by you. So I'm looking for an answer that deals with that uncertainty, rather than an answer that predicts the direction of the exchange rate. So I'd also like to know if you have any recommendations about taking a position in currency futures, etc.
Personal Finance - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I don't know how the Sheckel is doing on the global market, but if the dollar keeps dropping like a stone (as it has been for awhile), then if she has a choice, I'd DEFINITELY avoid being paid in dollars.
2 :
Israel has money changers all over. As she asks around & finds the reputable ones, she can use shekels as that is Israels' currency. When the rates are in her favor, she can change her $ over to whatever is offering the best deal.
3 :
Not sure about the Sheckel either but I wouldn't recommend getting the 30% in US especially with the way the market is going. I'd look into the Euros if anything or just keep the Sheckels if there doing good in the market. -Scott http://www.insurance-needs.info
4 :
I think she'll get paid in whatever currency the company that she works for uses. Chances are that since she is living in Israel and working in Israel, then she'll get paid in Sheckels.
5 :
Assuming she can choose, I can't see any advantages in her being paid in USD. The Sheqel is a stable and fully convertible currency and she will be spending 70% of her pay in Sheqel transactions. Being paid in USD would require her to spend money every month converting to Sheqels.