Thursday, June 14, 2012

working in israel/moving


working in israel/moving?
I always wanted to move to Israel and start a career there. My educational background is pretty strong and I want to work in banking (investment banking, private equity, wealth management etc) I just don't know how hard it is to land a job there, especially without connections. If I were to e-mail a bunch of companies and explain that I am a Jew in Canada looking to make the jump will they help me out? Are Israeli finance companies open to foreigners staffing their office or do they prefer Israelis. I'm fluent in english and french and my hebrew is 7/10 (if that matters)
Israel - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
from people that i knew from there better don't go usa is much better economically
2 :
To break into banking in Israel these days, one must be an "academic"; that is, one must at least be a university student (for the most low level banking postions) or have university degrees and experience. It's great that you already speak 2 foreign languages.(Eng. & Fr.). If you are seriously considering aliyah, do everything possible (courses, one-on-one tutoring, etc. ) to improve your Hebrew and become fluent before your arrrival. This broadens your employment possibilities. (Without fluent Hebrew, you are better off trying to find overseas jobs that you can do from Israel. To work in an Israeli banking framework, you'll need Hebrew.) Are you working in one of the fields that you mentioned? From your description, I assume you have the relevant academic degree(s) for your chosen career. Until you make aliyah, one logical step would be to contact Canadian branches of Israeli banks and try to get a job in your area. You will gain knowledge from the inside and also make connections that may help you to transfer eventually to an Israeli branch. If you contact me offline, I'll send you links to sites where you can see Israeli job postings.That will give you an idea of the actual requirements and provide an understanding of your preparedness for the local job market.